<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

*
*
The function of cholinesterase in red blood cells and plasma

This is just a note to myself to do some thinking about this. Apparently, whereas the function of cholinesterase in the nervous system is of course well known, the function of the same acetylcholine degrading enzyme in red blood cells and plasma is not known. It seems likely to me that since plasma and red cells get everywhere in the body, having cholinesterase in the plasma and on red cells could help mop up any acetylcholine that leaks away from neurones (specifically from the synapses).

I once measured red cell cholinesterase during my Ph.D. One interesting thing about this red cell enzyme is that it is located on the outside of the red cell, which would fit with its having the kind of role I am thinking of above.

Still, more work needed ...

Julian

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?